Community Walkway Guidelines
Welcome to the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge. We hope you enjoy our community walkway; however, for your safety and the safety of others, please be aware of the following guidelines and precautions:
- Day Use only. Night use is prohibited.
- Use during sustained wind conditions that exceed 30 mph and during ice and snow is prohibited. Be advised of possible gusty winds while on the bridge.
- Walking, Wheelchair and Running Only. No Passing.
- No leaning or sitting on pedestrian walkway railings at anytime.
- Children ages 16 and younger must be accompanied by an adult and remain under close supervision at all times.
- Pets (on a leash) are welcomed; however, owners are responsible for waste removal.
- No skating, roller blading, skateboards, scooters or any motorized vehicles.
- No fishing or crabbing.
- No alcohol or glass bottles.
- No soliciting or weapons.
- No loitering.
- Bicycles are permitted, but must yield to pedestrians and maintain a safe speed. No racing, passing or high speed travel is permitted.
While the Elizabeth River Park undergoes extensive renovations (April - Dec. 2014), limited vehicle parking is available in Chesapeake with open access to a paved ramp that connects to the Pedestrian Walkway. Vehicles may park on the shoulder of Poindexter Street near the base of the bridge and stay on the East side of the railroad tracks.
Reporting a Safety Concern
The South Norfolk Jordan Bridge is a private facility, and guests who are unwilling to abide by the safety guidelines are not permitted on the facility. Bridge is under Video Surveillance at all times, and Chesapeake and Portsmouth Police have permission to be on-site to monitor activities. Violators will be prosecuted.